Current Watches and Warnings
Alaska, Middle Tanana Valley
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 3:14 PM AKDT on July 30, 2016
208 PM akdt Sat Jul 30 2016
... The Flood Advisory remains in effect until 230 am akdt Tuesday
for rivers and small streams east of Fairbanks and the Elliot
Highway... including the chena river upstream of Moose Creek dam... .
* between one half and two inches of rain has fallen over the chena
and Chatanika basins through Saturday morning. Additional rainfall
of around 1 inch is expected over the upper chena and Chatanika
basins through Sunday morning... with slightly lesser amounts over
the lower part of the basins. This rain is falling on soils
saturated from recent heavy rainfalls.
* Rapid rises will occur in the headwaters of local streams and
rivers beginning today with areas downstream rising through the
weekend into early next week.
* Expect the upper chena river near Two Rivers to be at 19.9 ft at
minor flood stage by Sunday afternoon. Further downstream... expect
the chena river below hunts creek to crest just below minor flood
stage at 16.6 feet by Monday morning... and 24.7 feet at minor
flood stage at Moose Creek dam by midday Monday.
* Low lying boat launches and trailheads will be inundated...
including the Granite tors trailhead... Stiles creek shooting
range... and the compeau trailhead.
* The forecast crests for the little chena and Chatanika rivers are
expected to remain below minor flood stage... however localized
flooding may occur near surrounding sloughs and low lying areas.
* A Flood Advisory means river or stream flows are elevated... or
ponding of water is occurring or is imminent. Do not attempt to
travel across flooded roads or trails.
Lat... Lon 6532 14602 6489 14602 6478 14715 6481 14721
6484 14729 6485 14732 6486 14742 6546 14853
The National Weather Service in Fairbanks has extended the
* Flood Advisory for...
streams and rivers between the Tanana and Yukon rivers from
Fairbanks and the White Mountains west...
* until 830 PM akdt Tuesday
rain has been falling since Friday over the chena and Chatanika
basins as well as over higher terrain between the Yukon and Tanana
rivers to the north and west of Fairbanks. Rainfall amounts as of
Saturday afternoon range from one-half inch to over two inches
with the highest amounts over the hills north and east of
Fairbanks. Another inch of rain is expected through Sunday. Many
stream and rivers in this area are already high due to heavy rain
from last week.
This additional rain is expected to cause streams and small rivers
to rise rapidly tonight and Sunday with minor flooding possible.
Flooding will be most likely on smaller creeks in steep terrain.
* Some locations that will experience minor flooding include... low
spots along the Tanana river between Fairbanks and
Manley... including Perkins Landing... Nenana... and Manley Hot
Springs. Also included are goldstream creek... the Chatanika river
from the Elliott Highway downstream to Minto flats... and the
creeks crossing the Elliott and Dalton highways south of the Yukon
river. Minor flooding is also expected on the chena river in the
Steamboat Landing subdivision similar to what occurred earlier in
In Fairbanks... water levels on the chena river will rise through
Monday but are not expected to be higher than the past week. Bike
paths under bridges and low lying backyards will be under water
as they were earlier this week.
There is another Flood Advisory through Monday for the Chatanika
river and for the chena river upstream of the Moose Creek dam. See
that advisory for the impacts in those areas.
Lat... Lon 6546 14854 6479 14732 6445 14961 6518 15240
Statement as of 4:42 PM AKDT on July 30, 2016
... Record daily rainfall in Bettles
Bettles broke the daily rainfall record with 0.60 inches of rain.
The previous record rainfall was 0.37 inches set in 1961 and tied
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- California - Areal Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flash Flood Watch
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Record Report
- Kansas - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Maryland - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Flash Flood Watch
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement, Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement, Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report