Current Watches and Warnings
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:00 PM CST on March 07, 2014
... Todays topic for severe weather awareness week is
Arkansas governor mike Beebe has proclaimed the week of
March 2nd through 8th as severe weather awareness week
A different topic will be discussed each day... and todays topic
is flash floods.
In this state... most of the major flash floods occur at night...
when the danger is much more difficult to see.
In Arkansas in 2013... flash floods took six lives... all on may
31st. Five of the deaths occurred at Y City in Scott County.
Flash flooding is usually caused by either very slow-moving
thunderstorms... or thunderstorms that repeatedly move across the
The majority of flash flood deaths occur when people try to drive
or walk through flooded areas. Some of the vehicle related deaths
occur when vehicles are swept away with people inside. Others
occur when vehicles stall in the floodwaters and people climb
out... only to be swept away by the force of the water.
Moving water two feet deep is sufficient to carry away most
vehicles... even pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.
To emphasize the dangers of driving into flooded areas... the
National Weather Service has developed a slogan...
turn around - dont drown.
And... dont be a victim of what is sometimes called get-there-itis.
This expression means that the closer that people get to home...
the more likely they are to continue the attempt... even when
danger presents itself. In recent years... most of the flash
flood fatalities in Arkansas have occurred in areas that the
victims were familiar with... generally not far from their homes.
... Flash flood safety rules...
You should know which places in your area flood quickly in heavy
rains... and avoid these places when driving.
When water covers the Road... bridge approaches and roadbeds
could be washed out.
Do not attempt to cross flowing streams.
Outdoor activities are very popular in Arkansas. If you enjoy
camping or similar recreation... be especially careful if you
spend the night near streams. A thunderstorm miles upstream
from your location could produce enough rain to cause flooding...
even if it is not raining much where you are.
If your vehicle stalls in the water... do not wait while the
water continues to rise. Your vehicle could be swept away.
Instead... as soon as the vehicle stalls... leave it immediately
and head for higher ground.
Never allow children to play around high water... storm drains...
For a list of all the tornadoes and other significant weather
events that occurred in 2013...
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Arizona - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning , Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Winter Weather Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Record Report
- Maryland - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- New Mexico - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Winter Weather Advisory
- Oregon - High Wind Watch
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Winter Weather Advisory
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Virginia - Coastal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Special Weather Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement