Current Watches and Warnings
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:00 PM CST on November 20, 2014
... Winter weather awareness in Arkansas...
November 17th through 21st is winter weather awareness week in
Arkansas. People are asked to take some time to prepare for the
upcoming winter season.
Todays topic is winter weather safety rules.
The best way to survive a winter storm is to plan and prepare for
The Hazards of winter weather. Although some winter storms develop
quickly and with short notice... most events can be planned for.
At home... the primary concerns are for the potential loss of power...
heat and telephone service. Food supplies may also run low if
conditions persist for several days. Some items that should be
readily available around the home prior to the onset of winter
extra food and water... especially canned goods
a flashlight with extra batteries
first aid supplies and extra medicine
extra baby items
extra wood for emergency heating
a battery powered NOAA Weather Radio and portable radio
Remember... if your power GOES out... a cordless telephone will not
operate. A corded phone will continue to function... so it is a
good idea to have one available.
If power is lost... never use a gasoline or diesel powered generator
inside the house... in the garage... or any other enclosed space.
Generators can cause Carbon monoxide to build up to deadly levels
in enclosed spaces. Operate such generators outdoors only.
Travel should never be planned when severe winter weather is
anticipated. However... certain precautions should be taken during the
winter months in case a storm strikes suddenly or travel in bad
weather is unavoidable...
winterize your vehicle in the fall
keep your Gas Tank full to minimize ice buildup in The Tank
always carry a winter storm survival kit including blankets...
flashlights... non perishable food... drinking water...
first aid kit... extra clothes... shovel... ice scraper...
bag of sand or Cat litter and jumper cables
before leaving... let someone know where you are going and what
Route you plan to take
Traveling in winter weather is serious business. If the storm exceeds
or tests your driving ability... seek available shelter immediately.
Another winter threat is house fires. December... January... and
February are the leading months for house fires in this country.
More than one third of fire deaths typically occur during the
Here are some precautions you can take...
central heating systems should be kept in proper working
order. This includes regular inspections.
Space heaters need to be at least 36 inches away from any
flammable materials. The heaters should not be left on
when no one is present or when people are asleep. The
heaters should have automatic shut-off switches that turn
the units off if they tip over.
Fireplaces and chimneys should be inspected and cleaned on
a regular basis. The fireplaces should have a sturdy screen...
and only wood should be burned.
Wood stoves should be installed... used... and maintained in
accordance with instructions from the manufacturer. Use of
a stove board will protect the floor. Only wood should be
burned in the stove.
Kitchen ranges and ovens... charcoal grills... and hibachis
should never be used for heating.
Carbon monoxide is another hazard. It is a colorless...
odorless gas and is produced by gas-fired appliances...
charcoal grills... and wood-burning furnaces and fireplaces.
Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed to provide an
early warning when the gas begins to build up.
Please visit our web site at www.Srh.NOAA.Gov/lzk
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory, High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report
- Delaware - Record Report
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Tornado Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Frost Advisory , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Special Statement , Record Report
- Indiana - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Record Report
- Michigan - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Weather Statement , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New York - Areal Flood Watch , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- Ohio - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Oregon - High Surf Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Warning , High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory, High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Tornado Watch , Record Report
- Utah - Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Special Weather Statement
- - Tornado Watch
- - Small Craft Advisory
- - Small Craft Advisory