Current Watches and Warnings
California, Northern Monterey Bay
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 7:51 PM PDT on October 21, 2014
Expires 6:00 AM EDT on October 22, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect until 3 am PDT
* location... coastline from Sonoma County south through Monterey
County. In particular west and northwest facing beaches...
including but not limited to... Ocean Beach... Montara State
Beach... Half Moon Bay state beach... Manresa State Beach and
Marina state beach.
* Timing... through tonight.
* Impacts... large breakers with increased risk of rip currents
and sneaker waves.
A beach hazard statement for rip currents means that conditions
are present to support a heightened risk of strong rip currents.
Rip currents are typically more frequent and stronger in the
vicinity of jetties... inlets... and piers. Swimmers caught in a
rip current should swim parallel to the coast to escape the rip
current before trying to swim for shore. Swimmers should always
swim near a lifeguard.
A beach hazard statement for sneaker waves means that conditions
are present to support a heightened risk of unsuspecting beach
goers being swept into the sea by a wave. People walking along
the beach should never turn their back to the sea. Fisherman
should avoid fishing from rocks or jetties.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Maine - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Areal Flood Watch
- New Jersey - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- New York - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory
- Oregon - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Tennessee - Frost Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Flood Statement
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement