Current Watches and Warnings
Delaware, New Castle
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 4:55 AM EDT on May 22, 2013
... National safe boating week may 18 through may 24...
This is the fifth in a daily series of messages produced by the
partnered National Weather Service and National safe boating Council.
After a long winter... thoughts naturally turn toward warm weather
recreational activities. Unseasonably warm afternoons of the Spring
and fall frequently attract boaters to our beautiful lakes... rivers
and coastal waters.
Those venturing out need to be aware of the dangers posed by low
water temperatures. On warm days..its easy to Overlook the fact
that the water temperature can be much lower than the air
Immersion in cold water can quickly become life threatening. Water
temperatures in the upper 30s and 40s can cause an immersed person
without a wet suit to develop hypothermia in a matter of minutes.
In fact... .the human being cannot survive in water temperatures that
are in the 50s or 60s for very long... as water conducts heat away
from the body 26 times faster than the air of the same temperature.
The cold water rapidly causes extremities to become numb... weakening
the ability of muscles to work effectively.
The National Weather Service urges the following safety measures to,
protect yourself and maximize enjoyment of the nations waterways.
Consider postponing small craft boating activities until water
temperatures become warmer in late Spring or Summer.
When you do boat... canoe or kayak... wear appropriate protective gear
and clothing in the event of exposure to the cold water.
No matter what the season... wear a life jacket!
Always file a float plan... letting a close family member or friend
know your plans as well as your boats communication capability and
the physical details of your craft. All of this information can
assist Rescue personnel in the event you should get in trouble.
Safety first... always!
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Frost Advisory, Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Areal Flood Advisory
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Areal Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Areal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Freeze Watch , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Areal Flood Advisory
- North Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Winter Weather Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Areal Flood Advisory
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement
- RT @IanCBS13: Tower Bridge rivets soaking up the California sun. #sacramento #cawx fb.me/2FVPXGVOy 4 hours ago
- Oklahoma City area hit by massive twister! Two miles wide. Details at 4 pm! 1 day ago
- Hot stuff! 11am temps already in the 80s - see where we'll end up today & why rest of week cooling off so fast at 12! http://t.co/qjGb7MBkSL 1 day ago
- RT @GoodDaySac: #9amtopic: I can admit ________. #icanadmit @tvTina_Ju @LauraSkirdeWx 16 hours ago
- Moved to tears a couple of times this morning to see #MooreOK #tornado victims reunited with their pets, climbing from the debris... #hope 16 hours ago
- RT @CBSThisMorning: Hello to our viewers in the West. We're live with a special edition of @CBSThisMorning, & awaiting comments from Presid… 18 hours ago
- Tower Bridge rivets soaking up the California sun. #sacramento #cawx fb.me/2FVPXGVOy 4 hours ago
- RT @KJ_MayorJohnson: Shout out to @kdtrey5 for showing the NBA Cares! KD donated a cool million to the victims of the tornado. #prayforokla… 8 hours ago
- RT @CalEMA: NEWS: Governor Brown Deploys Six California Urban Search & Rescue Specialists to Oklahoma ow.ly/lg3gA 10 hours ago
View your local ocean forecast and tides in our Marine Report.
See the latest severe weather alerts from the National Weather Services, locally and nationally, in our Severe Weather Center.