Current Watches and Warnings
Hawaii, Big Island North and East
Flash Flood Warning
Statement as of 2:09 PM HST on July 23, 2016
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on July 23, 2016
The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a
* Flash Flood Warning for...
the island of Hawaii in Hawaii County
* until 500 PM HST
* at 202 PM HST... radar indicated heavy rain moving onshore from the
east and southeast. Rainfall will spread across the puna and Kau
districts over the next several hours as the center of Darby
approaches The Big Island.
* Locations in the warning include but are not limited to...
Hilo... Pahoa... Mountain View... Glenwood...
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park... Wood Valley... Pahala...
Naalehu and kawa flats.
A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding in imminent or occurring in
streams... roads... and low lying areas. Move to higher ground now.
Do not cross fast flowing water in your vehicle... or on foot. Turn
around... Don/T drown.
This warning may need to be extended beyond 500 PM HST if heavy rain
This Flash Flood Warning replaces the previously issued Flood
Advisory that was in effect for portions of the island of Hawaii in
Lat... Lon 1897 15572 1904 15588 1940 15562 2001 15526
1985 15509 1974 15510 1974 15500 1965 15499
1953 15481 1948 15482 1934 15499 1927 15516
1927 15529 1913 15551 1899 15559 1891 15568
High Surf Warning, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 4:08 PM HST on July 23, 2016
454 am HST Sat Jul 23 2016
... High surf warning now in effect until 6 PM HST Sunday for east
facing shores of The Big Island and Maui...
* surf... 15 to 20 feet tonight... lowering to 10 to 15 feet Sunday.
* Timing... through 6 PM HST Sunday.
* Impacts... very high... expect ocean water surging and sweeping
across beaches... coastal benches... and lava flows creating the
potential for impacts to coastal properties and
infrastructure... including roadways. Powerful longshore and
rip currents will be present at most beaches. Large breaking
waves and strong currents may impact Harbor entrances and
channels causing challenging boat handling.
Large breaking surf... significant shorebreak... and dangerous
currents make entering the water very hazardous. Anyone entering
the water could face significant injury or death.
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Sunday afternoon...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* Kahoolawe... Lanai... Maui... Molokai and The Big Island.
* Through Sunday afternoon
* the center of Tropical Storm Darby is forecast to move over...
or very close to... The Big Island today... and the islands of
Maui County late tonight into Sunday morning. Excessive
rainfall is expected to become widespread on The Big Island
today... and over Maui County this afternoon into tonight.
* In addition to flood prone areas... heavy rain events of this
size may cause flooding in areas outside designated flood
zones. Storm total rainfall amounts are forecast to be between
10 and 15 inches... with locally higher amounts possible. Low
spots in roads can become dangerous and impassable due to
severe runoff. High amounts of debris in streams and gulches
may clog bridges and culverts resulting in dangerous flooding
which could occur outside the normal channels... and could also
lead to significant property damage.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is very dangerous.
You should monitor later forecasts and get prepared for flash
flooding this weekend. Never drive into areas where water covers
the Road. Turn around... Don/T drown.
Tropical Storm Warning
Statement as of 2:13 PM HST on July 23, 2016
Expires 4:15 AM EDT on July 24, 2016
... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...
... Precautionary/preparedness actions...
Where high winds are occurring... stay indoors. Remain alert and
away from windows and external doors. Listen for possible flash
a weather station at kohala ranch reported sustained winds of 43 mph and
a peak gust of 61 mph early this afternoon. Winds were gusting to 52 mph
in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park just before 2 PM. Waimea had a wind
gust of 53 mph and Kawaihae had a wind gust of 48 mph.
Some parts of The Big Island will continue to have sustained winds
over 39 mph with localized gusts over 60 mph into tonight and Sunday.
These winds could cause downed trees and powerlines in some areas.
Winds are forecast to fall below 39 mph for all areas by early Sunday
... Inland flooding...
passing rainbands will bring periods of showers late this afternoon.
These rains have saturated the ground in some areas already. There
is a chance for intense downpours or thunderstorms to develop
late this afternoon or tonight... and this could cause significant
flash flooding. Storm total rainfall amounts of 10 to 15 inches are
possible. Refer to the Flash Flood Watch for more details.
... Storm surge and storm tide...
on east facing shores... surf of 15 to 25 feet is expected to continue
tonight... but then diminish on Sunday. In the meantime... this may
cause significant wave runup and damage on some windward coastal roads.
Refer to the high surf warning for more details.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Watch , Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Illinois - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Special Statement , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Watch , Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Record Report
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Special Statement , Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Wisconsin - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report