Current Watches and Warnings
Massachusetts, Southeast Middlesex
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 10:13 PM EDT on October 22, 2014
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on October 23, 2014
... Flood Watch remains in effect through Thursday morning...
The Flood Watch continues for
* portions of Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire...
including the following counties... in Massachusetts...
Barnstable... Bristol... Essex... Middlesex... Norfolk... Plymouth
and Suffolk. In southern New Hampshire... Hillsborough.
* Through Thursday morning
* periods of heavy rain with embedded thunderstorms will continue
overnight into Thursday morning... before tapering to scattered
showers by Thursday afternoon.
* A widespread 1.50 to 2.50 inches of rain is anticipated... but
localized 4 inch amounts are possible. This may result in areas of
localized flooding... especially in urban areas.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 9:40 PM EDT on October 22, 2014
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on October 23, 2014
... High Wind Warning remains in effect until 8 am EDT Thursday...
* location... the eastern Massachusetts coast including the
Boston metropolitan area.
* Winds... northeast 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
* Timing... the strongest winds will occur tonight with gusts up
to 60 mph possible. The highest of these winds will be across
coastal Essex County.
* Impacts... these strong winds will result in downed trees and
power outages. The heavy rain combined with many fully leafed
trees will likely exacerbate the potential for downed trees.
A High Wind Warning is issued when sustained winds of 40 mph are
expected for at least an hour... with gusts of 58 mph or greater
at any time. Damage to trees... power lines... and property are
possible with wind of this magnitude. Power outages are likely.
Take action now to secure any loose outdoor objects.
Special Weather Statement
Statement as of 9:25 PM EDT on October 22, 2014
Expires 10:15 PM EDT on October 22, 2014
... Strong thunderstorm in northern Windham... northern Tolland...
southeastern Hampden... northwestern Plymouth... northwestern
Bristol... southwestern Suffolk... Worcester... south central
Middlesex... Norfolk... northeastern Kent... Providence and northeastern
At 924 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar was tracking a
line of strong thunderstorms along a line extending from Scituate to
Swansea... and was moving northwest at 50 mph.
Hail up to the size of peas and wind gusts up to 50 mph can be
expected with these storms.
Locations impacted include...
Boston... Worcester... Providence... Brockton... Quincy... Newton...
Warwick... Cranston... Pawtucket... Framingham... Waltham... Brookline...
Taunton... Weymouth... East Providence... Woonsocket... Leominster...
Fitchburg... Marlborough and Braintree.
Torrential rainfall was occurring with these storms. Minor urban and
poor drainage flooding can be expected. Do not drive through flooded
Lat... Lon 4258 7181 4230 7105 4232 7096 4229 7102
4226 7097 4230 7096 4231 7096 4231 7095
4225 7096 4226 7085 4227 7086 4228 7086
4229 7089 4229 7087 4221 7072 4171 7123
4179 7137 4174 7138 4194 7246
time... Mot... loc 0124z 108deg 57kt 4218 7076 4177 7118
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 9:12 PM EDT on October 22, 2014
The following are unofficial observations taken this afternoon and
evening for the storm that has been affecting our region.
Appreciation is extended to Skywarn spotters... cooperative
observers... media and Highway departments for these reports. This
summary is also available on our home Page at weather.Gov/Boston
***********************peak wind gust***********************
Location Max wind time/date comments
... Bristol County...
Fairhaven 52 758 PM 10/22 West Island
... Essex County...
Rockport 53 710 PM 10/22 amateur radio
5 WNW Beverly 47 520 PM 10/22 ASOS
Marblehead 47 714 PM 10/22 amateur radio
... Middlesex County...
Cambridge 46 602 PM 10/22 amateur radio
Wakefield 45 737 PM 10/22 trained spotter
... Norfolk County...
3 SSW Milton 49 504 PM 10/22 ASOS
Cohasset 46 710 PM 10/22 trained spotter
... Plymouth County...
Scituate 50 644 PM 10/22 Humarock section
4 SW Plymouth 46 426 PM 10/22 ASOS
... Suffolk County...
1 N East Boston 51 515 PM 10/22 ASOS
Winthrop 47 452 PM 10/22 amateur radio
South Boston 46 515 PM 10/22 trained spotter
... Washington County...
Charlestown 47 600 PM 10/22 amateur radio
Block Island 46 515 PM 10/22 AWOS
Location wind time/date comments
... Suffolk County...
1 N East Boston 41 528 PM 10/22 ASOS
- Alabama - Frost Advisory
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Wind Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Frost Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Frost Advisory
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Maine - Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Wind Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory
- Ohio - Frost Advisory
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Frost Advisory
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Statement , Special Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory
- Washington - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch