Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:32 AM EDT on June 28, 2016
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on June 29, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through late
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee
* beaches with particularly dangerous conditions tomorrow
North Beach in South Haven...
Holland State Park...
Muskegon State Park...
Mears State Park in Pentwater...
Stearns Park in Ludington...
* overview/potential impacts... north winds 15 to 25 knots and
waves 3 to 6 feet will diminish gradually from north to south
late this afternoon through the evening.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement, Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Special Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Dense Fog Advisory
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- New York - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Dense Fog Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Vermont - Special Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report