Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Ashe
Statement as of 6:08 AM EST on January 30, 2015
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until midnight EST tonight...
* locations... northern mountains of North Carolina... Grayson
* Hazards... very gusty winds.
* Winds... northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts approaching 55 mph.
* Timing... through midnight tonight.
* Impacts... trees... branches or power lines may be blown down.
Winds will make driving challenging... especially for high
A Wind Advisory means sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph... or wind
gusts of 46 to 57 mph... are expected. Winds this strong will
likely cause sporadic power outages and can make driving
difficult... especially for high profile vehicles. Unfastened
items such as garbage cans and lawn furniture should be moved
Statement as of 10:24 AM EST on January 30, 2015
Expires 10:30 AM EST on January 30, 2015
827 am EST Fri Jan 30 2015
... Snow showers along with falling temperatures and windy
conditions to prevail into this afternoon...
Periodic bands of snow will continue to move southeast out of West
Virginia through early afternoon resulting in additional light
snowfall accumulations across the mountains. Added amounts of an
inch or two can be expected with locally higher totals in narrow
bands. Northwest winds should also increase with gusts to 50 or 55
mph possible resulting in blowing snow and reduced visibilities
within the heavier snow bands. Temperatures should continue to
slowly fall into the 20s as even colder air arrives. This will
result in snow sticking to untreated surfaces... with roads
becoming snow covered and slick especially when the more intense
snowfall is occurring. Motorists should be alert for slippery
conditions as well as the strong northwest winds that may make
driving difficult at times.
... Wintry mix of snow and freezing rain this morning...
Light snow and flurries along with patchy freezing rain will occur
across the region this morning. Although snowfall should remain
light through 1030 am... light icing may make for slippery roads
especially along the Blue Ridge.
In addition to the light accumulation of snow and some light icing... it
will be windy with temperatures falling into the 20s.
Motorists should be alert for slick Road conditions along with
strong northwest winds this morning.
Local Storm Report
01/30/2015 1016 am
West Jefferson, Ashe County.
Snow m0.2 inch, reported by public.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 10:06 AM EST on January 30, 2015
The following are unofficial observations taken this morning for the
storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation is extended to
those who provided reports. This summary is also available on our
home Page at weather.Gov/Blacksburg
********************storm total snowfall********************
Location storm total time/date comments
... Watauga County...
1 se Beech Mountain 0.8 708 am 1/30 cocorahs
... Bath County...
Hot Springs 0.4 700 am 1/30 co-op observer
... Giles County...
Mountain Lake 2.0 933 am 1/30 public
... Montgomery County...
Christiansburg 0.5 935 am 1/30 public
Blacksburg 0.4 925 am 1/30 NWS office
... Tazewell County...
Burkes Garden 0.2 659 am 1/30 co-op observer
... Greenbrier County...
Quinwood 2.0 948 am 1/30 dept of highways
White Sulphur Spring 0.5 720 am 1/30 co-op observer
3 E McRoss 0.1 816 am 1/30 co-op observer
... Mercer County...
Bluefield 0.4 658 am 1/30 co-op observer
- Alabama - Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Special Statement
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- California - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Wind Advisory , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Wind Advisory
- District of Columbia - Wind Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Dense Fog Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Wind Advisory , Wind Chill Advisory
- New Mexico - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Ohio - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Winter Weather Advisory
- Oregon - Air Stagnation Advisory
- Rhode Island - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Utah - Winter Weather Advisory
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report