Current Watches and Warnings
Oregon, Greater Portland Metro Area
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 5:04 AM PST on January 16, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EST on January 17, 2017
... Winter Storm Watch in effect from early Tuesday morning through
Tuesday afternoon for the greater Portland and Vancouver Metro
The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a Winter
Storm Watch for significant icing... which is in effect from early
Tuesday morning through Tuesday afternoon.
* Timing... freezing rain is expected to develop early Tuesday
morning... increasing throughout the day. Temperatures are
expected to slowly climb above freezing Tuesday... with areas
east of Interstate 205 likely being the last to change to plain
rain late in the afternoon or during the evening.
* Ice accumulation... 0.20 to 0.40 inch... except 0.50 to 0.75 inch
Troutdale and Gresham eastward.
* Impacts... many roads remain snow and ice covered from last weeks
snowstorm. Additionally... several days of very cold temperatures
will make ground surfaces like roads and sidewalks very
receptive to ice accumulation. It may take a couple hours of
temperatures above freezing to completely end the freezing rain
threat at any given location. Roads may again become difficult
for travel across the greater Portland and Vancouver Metro area
Tuesday. Ice accumulation on trees and power lines may result in
downed branches and lines... which would bring the threat of
power outages Tuesday into Tuesday night.
There is a potential for significant ice accumulations. Future
driving... bicycling... and walking conditions may become
hazardous... so it is important to monitor the latest forecasts.
Also... be prepared for potential power outages as ice may bring
branches and power lines down Tuesday.
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:22 PM PST on January 15, 2017
Expires 7:00 AM EST on January 19, 2017
... Flood Watch in effect for the north Oregon coast and Coast
Range... Portland/Vancouver Metro area... Columbia River gorge... and
southwest Washington from the Willapa Hills to the South
Washington Cascades... from Tuesday morning through late Wednesday
The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a
* Flood Watch for portions of northwest Oregon and southwest
Washington... including the following areas... in northwest
Oregon... central Columbia River gorge... Coast Range of
northwest Oregon... greater Portland Metro area... lower
Columbia... north Oregon coast... Upper Hood River Valley and
western Columbia River gorge. In southwest Washington...
central Columbia River gorge... Greater Vancouver area... I-5
corridor in Cowlitz County... South Washington Cascade
foothills... South Washington Cascades... South Washington
coast... western Columbia River gorge and Willapa Hills.
* From Tuesday morning through late Wednesday night
* freezing levels will rise to over 8000 feet Monday night leading
to rapid snow melt. In addition... heavy rain beginning Tuesday
will cause sharp rises on rivers and creeks draining the Coast
Range... South Washington Cascades... and Willapa Hills.
* Rainfall amounts through Thursday...
*portland/Vancouver Metro area... ... 1.5 to 3 inches
*north Coast Range/Willapa Hills... .4 to 8 inches
*south Washington Cascades... ... ... .4 to 8 inches
*street flooding is possible in urban areas where ice and snow
may block storm drains.
* Rivers of concern include the Grays in Wahkiakum County... the
lower Nehalem and Wilson in Tillamook County... the upper
Tualatin in Washington County... the marys in Benton County... and
Johnson Creek in Clackamas County.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Landslides and debris flows are possible during this flood event.
People... structures and roads located below steep slopes... in
canyons and near the mouths of canyons may be at serious risk
from rapidly moving landslides.
Statement as of 3:20 AM PST on January 16, 2017
Expires 1:00 PM EST on January 16, 2017
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 10 am PST this morning
for the Portland and Vancouver Metro near the mouth of the
Columbia River gorge...
A Wind Advisory near The Gorge remains in effect until 10 am PST
* Winds: east 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Winds will be
primarily confined to areas well east of Interstate 205 near the
mouth of the Columbia River gorge.
* Timing: through mid to late morning.
* Locations include: Troutdale... Gresham... Washougal and Camas.
* Impacts: winds may be strong enough to cause tree damage and
possibly disrupt power.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be
31 to 39 mph or gusts will range between 45 and 57 mph. Winds of
these magnitudes may cause minor property damage without extra
precautions. Motorists in high profile vehicles should use
caution until the winds subside.
Small Craft for Rough Bar Advisory
Statement as of 8:46 AM PST on January 16, 2017
Expires 7:00 PM EST on January 17, 2017
... Small Craft Advisory for rough bar remains in effect from 5 PM
this afternoon to 4 PM PST Tuesday...
... Small Craft Advisory for rough bar will expire at 9 am PST
* in the Main Channel...
* general seas... 6 to 8 feet... increasing to around 10 feet
* First Ebb... around 730 PM this evening. Seas near 10 feet.
* Second Ebb... around 815 am Tuesday. Seas near 11 feet.
A Small Craft Advisory for rough bar means that wave conditions
are expected to be hazardous to small craft in or near Harbor
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Wind Chill Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Special Statement
- Arizona - Dense Fog Advisory
- California - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Winter Weather Advisory
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Air Stagnation Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Ice Storm Warning
- Kansas - Ice Storm Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Missouri - Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Nebraska - Winter Storm Warning , Ice Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Special Statement
- New Jersey - Freezing Rain Advisory
- New Mexico - Freezing Fog Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory, Air Stagnation Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Flood Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory
- Wyoming - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report