Current Watches and Warnings
Rhode Island, Newport
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 3:53 AM EDT on September 22, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on September 22, 2014
... High surf advisory now in effect from 8 am this morning to
6 PM EDT this evening...
* location... ocean exposed beaches of the South Coast including
the cape and islands.
* Surf height... 5 to 10 feet.
* Timing... into this evening.
* Impacts... high risk of dangerous surf and rip currents. Also
viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well away from
possible splash over. Large waves can sweep a person into the
water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area.
A rip current... sometimes mistakenly called an undertow... is a
strong but narrow current of water flowing from the beach to the
surf zone. It can rapidly carry a swimmer into deeper water and
exhaust an individual trying to swim against it.
If you are a poor swimmer and are caught in a rip current... swim
parallel to the beach until out of its pull. Another means of
escape for those who are good swimmers is to ride the current out
beyond the surf zone where the rip current dissipates... then swim
toward shore outside the effect of the narrow rip current.
Do not attempt to swim back to shore directly against the
current... it can exhaust and drown even the strongest swimmer.
Heed the advice of the beach patrol and swim only at guarded
beaches. Watch your children. Be especially cautious near piers
and jetties where rip currents can be enhanced.
In addition... viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well
away from possible splash over. Individual waves may be more than
twice the significant wave height... which can sweep a person into
the water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area. Falling
into the turbulent and sometimes Rocky Waters can result in
injury that reduces the chance of survival.
For the latest updates... please visit our webpage at
You can follow US on facebook at
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Maine - Dense Fog Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Nevada - Dense Smoke Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement