Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:54 AM EDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 28, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... strong rip currents and dangerous shore break.
* Timing... through this evening.
* Waves and surf... 4 to 5 feet Thursday morning... diminishing to
3 to 4 feet late Thursday afternoon.
A high risk of rip currents means wind and or wave conditions
support the development of very strong rip currents... especially
in the vicinity of jetties... piers... and sandbars. These rip
currents will be life-threatening to anyone who enters the surf.
Be especially cautious with outgoing tides which improve rip
current formation. All beach goers should remain aware of
inherent dangers when entering the surf including swift longshore
currents... pounding shore break and shallow sand bars.
Rip currents are strong... narrow channels of water that flow out
to sea. If you become caught in a rip current... remain calm. Try
to swim on a course that is parallel to the beach until you get
away from the rip... then swim at an angle in to shore. Do not try
to swim back to shore directly against the rip... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Always heed the advice of lifeguards. Pay attention to flags and
signs posted near beach access points and lifeguard stations.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report