Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, Lower Columbia and I - 5 Corridor in Cowlitz County
Statement as of 10:14 AM PST on December 20, 2014
Expires 4:43 AM EST on December 22, 2014
The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a
* Flood Warning for
the Grays River near Rosburg.
* From this evening to late Sunday night... or until the warning is
* At 8 am Saturday the stage was... 7.4 feet / 1200 cfs.
* Flood stage is 12.0 feet and flood flow is 8300 cfs.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* Forecast... this river is forecast to rise above flood stage around
9 PM Saturday and is expected to crest at 12.7 ft around 4 am
* Impact... above 12.0 feet, expect some flooding of roads along and
near the Grays River, including roadway approaches to the Altoona
bridge over the Grays, and portions of Covered Bridge Road,
Barr-durrah Road, and loop Road near Rosburg and Hwy 4.
Lat... Lon 4630 12368 4631 12370 4636 12361 4637 12355 4635 12356
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 8:21 AM PST on December 20, 2014
Expires 7:00 PM EST on December 22, 2014
... Flood Watch remains in effect from 4 PM PST this afternoon
through Monday afternoon for southwest Washington and northwest
The Flood Watch continues for southwest Washington and northwest
Oregon from 4 PM PST this afternoon through Monday afternoon.
A classic atmospheric river type precipitation event is setting up
over the Pacific northwest today... which will continue to impact
the region into early Monday. A very long fetch of moisture with
origins west to the South China Sea is feeding into this
system... bringing the potential for very large rainfall totals
across the region. A deep and moist westerly flow will develop
today and continue through Sunday. With the flow forecasted to
remain perpendicular to the Coast Range and Cascades for an
extended period of time... expect strong orographic enhancement to
lead to the highest rainfall totals over the mountains. The Coast
Range... foothills and Cascades are expected to see in the range of
6 to 12 inches of rain... with locally higher amounts possible.
Lower but still significant totals are expected for the lower
terrain. Projected rainfall along the coast is forecasted to be
around 4 to 8 inches. The interior lowlands should see 1 to 4
inches... with the highest amounts closer to the Cascade foothills.
Given the latest forecasted rainfall totals... it appears that
there is the strong potential for flooding over the weekend on
numerous rivers and tributaries draining the Coast Range and
Cascades. A few rivers may even reach major flood stage. The
Current River stage forecasts indicate that the faster responding
rivers could reach flood stage as early as tonight. There are also likely
to be impacts from Urban and Small Stream flooding and flooding
along low lying pasture land.
In addition to the flooding concerns... excessive rainfall has the
potential to create landslides... debris flows... and excessive runoff
in the vicinity of recent wildfire burn scars. Burn scars from two
large fires this Summer... the 36 pit fire in the Clackamas river
basin near Estacada and the deception complex near Oakridge... will
be particularly vulnerable.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
Landslides and debris flows are possible during this flood event.
People... structures and roads located below steep slopes... in
canyons and near the mouths of canyons may be at serious risk
from rapidly moving landslides.
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
The next update for this watch will be issued by 10 PM Saturday
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - Coastal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory
- Nevada - Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Oregon - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- Texas - Record Report
- Utah - Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement