Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Natrona County Lower Elevations
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 8:37 PM MST on March 07, 2014
Expires 10:00 PM EST on March 08, 2014
The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a
* Flood Advisory for an ice jam and snow melt in...
Johnson County in north central Wyoming...
Natrona County in central Wyoming...
* until 800 PM MST Saturday
* over the next 24 hours... warming temperatures will bring an
increasing chance for ice jam flooding in and near the Powder
River in northern Natrona and southern Johnson counties.
Additionally... snowmelt over the next couple of days from water
unable to filter into the frozen ground... may instead flow into
low areas and outlets... causing ponding of these low lying areas.
Temperatures will rise into the mid and upper 50s on Saturday and
Sunday. ..so expect flooding probabilities to increase with the
Warm days and freezing temperatures at night will allow the
threat for ice jamming to continue along the Powder River through
the the weekend and possibly Monday. The threat will begin to
subside when the most of river ice has broken up in the middle of
the river channel. Ice jam flooding is typically most severe near
* Some locations that could experience minor flooding from ice jams
include... areas near and around the Powder River... particularly in
south central Johnson County. The foothills of the southern
Bighorn Mountains will be the most susceptable to snowmelt
River ice is very unpredictable... and may move and jam with little
notice. Any ice jam can cause flooding as the ice dam can cause
rapid increases in river levels in a short period of time. People
living near these rivers should monitor the situation closely and be
ready to move to higher ground if flooding occurs.
Excessive runoff from snowmelt can cause minor flooding of small
creeks and streams. Additionally... country roads and farmlands
along the banks of creeks and streams and other low lying areas are
subject to minor flooding.
To report flooding... have the nearest law enforcement agency relay
your report to the National Weather Service forecast office in
Report hazardous weather to the National Weather Service office in
Riverton at 1-800-211-1448.
Lat... Lon 4244 10607 4243 10751 4244 10753 4350 10753
4350 10711 4432 10714 4444 10720 4446 10730
4456 10737 4457 10601
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 2:17 PM MST on March 08, 2014
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on March 09, 2014
... High Wind Warning in effect from midnight MST tonight to noon
The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a High Wind
Warning... which is in effect from midnight MST tonight to noon
MDT Sunday. The high wind watch is no longer in effect.
* Summary and timing... the threat of high winds will increase by
midnight and continue through the night and continue into
Sunday morning before decreasing. The strongest winds are
expected on Wyoming Boulevard... outer drive on the south side
of Casper and around Muddy Gap.
* Wind... west winds of 35 to 45 mph with gusts to 65 mph.
* Impacts... travel may become hazardous for light weight and high
profile vehicles on highways 287... 220 and 20 26. Expect strong
cross winds with blow over potential.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
The latest Road conditions provided by the Wyoming Department of
Transportation are available by calling 5-1-1 or on the internet
Statement as of 12:41 AM MST on March 08, 2014
... Record daily maximum precipitation set at Casper WY...
an upper level disturbance... and its associated front... brought
rain... .and some snow... across portions of the cowboy state
yesterday. A record precipitation of 0.32 inches was set at Casper
WY yesterday. This breaks the old record of 0.19 set in 2012.
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning
- Idaho - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Fire Weather Watch
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Record Report
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Special Weather Statement , Record Report
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - High Wind Warning
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Record Report
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report